Come on, you know you want to

and there's no law against it.... you know

we might even learn something anew.

For sure, we'll make something new.

Well I will.

Will you?

Let me know if you do.

Saturday 11 June 2011

Garden Glass



Garden glass ornaments are fun. I thought I'd like to learn how to make something using COPPER FOIL with CAROLINE LAMBERT at KINGSHILL HOUSE, DURSLEY. The class also worked in LEADING and FUSING. Pretty good for 30 quid plus materials.




First off, learn to cut glass. Then choose a design, then select the glass for the job, and get cutting.




File off the edges of the cut pieces - diamond sander, water cooled; wash the pieces. Then stick on the COPPER FOIL, overlapping the final end about quarter ins. Fold the free edges over and stick onto each face of the glass, fold the corners very neatly and burnish with an 'orange stick'.




Put on flux and then run solder over the copper foil. Do back, front, then the side edges.




If things get too hot, use a peg as a handle!
These pieces can now be attached to each other, or to copper pipe, or made ready to be hung up. Copper pipe needs to be cleaned with wire wool, washed and dried. Where the pieces are to go the pipe's then 'tinned' = covered with Gel flux and coated with solder. The pieces are then abutted and the joint/s are flooded with solder. Hey presto! a solid work of art.




Sadly, this one fell off. MORE HASTE, LESS SPEED.



The final result, even with the orange piece missing is pleasing and only cost about 7 quid for the materials. 
ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!


I really wish I could have spent a full day here, for less than 3 hours, from a standing start, this is AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave your comments here as often as you fancy. I will read what you leave for me and may even post it here for everyone to enjoy. As I can't alter anything you write, please don't use my first name as I want to maintain my privacy. Ta.